Thursday, April 08, 2010

Updating the manuals

I'm chronologically challenged.  I pretend it's because I love history.  The upside is I only pay used prices for books and food that are out of date.  The downside is they're sometimes stale.  The second upside is that I never have to wait for the sequel to come out.

Case in point: Bible Translation: Frames of Reference, edited by Timothy Wilt.  It was published in 2002 by St. Jerome in Manchester, UK, the only publishing house in the world solely dedicated to printing translation studies. 

From the Introduction (pp. ix-ii):
In 1999, during a seminar on the training of new Bible-translation consultants, it
was observed that Nida and Taber's (1969) The Theory and Practice of Translation
(TAPOT) was still considered by a significant number of people to be indicative of an
organizationally supported, contemporary approach to Bible translation. Over the decades
since TAPOT's appearance, many publications on translating the Bible and secular
literature have indicated ways in which T APOT is limited, dated or untenable, and have
presented enlarged or alternative perspectives. But these more recent studies have often
focused on a particular academic sub-field or on translations in a particular language.
Those attending the seminar concluded that it would be helpful to have a book providing
a general perspective on Bible translation at the turn of the twenty-first century, in part by
indicating important developments since the appearance of TAPOT. Bible Translation:
Frames of Reference attempts to offer this.

I have the prequel to TAPOT on my bookshelf, Toward a Science of Translation by Eugene Nida (1964).  It's nice to know that the profession has progressed since that time, and that the old men want to keep us in the loop about those changes.

PS: Why do most of the best translation scholars live in Europe? 
Why do most of the best missiologists live overseas on the field?
We have the best theoretical linguistics here in the States, but their accessibility is another story.  I guess that's why all three of the types I mentioned write books.  And... there is a period between the time missionaries return home and the time they die of old age.  They're a great, unknown, resource then.

No comments: