Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Doty on Bible Translation in Thailand

Today I found one of the most significant PhD theses I have ever seen.  It was written in 2007 at the University of Auckland in New Zealand by Steve Doty.  Dr. Doty now teaches linguistics at Payap University in Thailand, one of the schools I'm considering for my next degree. 

In this thesis, he tells the story of a paradigm shift in Bible translation since 1950, from "literal" to "meaning-based", all the way to having local communities choose their own approach to translation.  He tells the role of SIL (Wycliffe Bible Translators), and their very influential translation theorist, Eugene Nida.  Then he explains how this change took place and examines a dozen of the critics of this movement.  Finally, he provides original research from a survey in Thailand on how well people are able to understand Bible stories translated three different ways.

I took the liberty of uploading the thesis to Scribd because the servers at Auckland aren't working right now. 
Browse below.
SH Doty, The Paradigm Shift in Bible Translation in the Modern Era, With Special Focus on Thai

No comments: